Iceland Traverse Trip Summary
Explore the land of fire and ice as we traverse Iceland on this epic mountain bike expedition. Be part of an expedition team riding together to a common goal. Ride across moonlike landscapes and stand a very likely chance to experience the northern lights as we explore this iconic destination from the North East across the Highlands to the South West.
A guided, expedition style adventure, traversing Iceland from cost to coast. The route is only accessible for approximate 40 days during summer when the winter snow has receded enough to allow riders to cross on normal spec, dual suspension mountain bikes. Hence the August timing.
A specialised 4 x 4 vehicle, especially adapted for the Icelandic terrain will be our support so that riders can focus on their quality of riding and exploring this unique landscape. Carrying equipment, camping gear, food and supplies, our support team meets us at overnight stops at the end of every day. Think Icelandic lamb stew, salmon and caviar sandwiches to fuel you each day for the journey ahead.
This is a true expedition in every sense of the word. Living arrangements will be in remote mountain huts or tents pitched in places usually only visible from aircraft windows. To ensure our safety in the testing conditions, fluctuating weather and hard riding, we will need to work as a team. This trip is the real deal and will require your total commitment. Are you in?
Start with your back wheel in the Arctic ocean and ride with your front wheel into the Atlantic. That and a whole lot of unforgettable adventure in between is what this trip is about. It is a ride consisting of steep climbs, downhill, trail and cross country riding. Crossing glacial rivers and managing a fair share of hike-a-bike terrain sections, is often the order of the day.
The solitude, absolute pristine and the privilege to ride in this iconic destination makes every challenge worthwhile. The variety of terrain never stops as your tires roll over hard pack, volcanic rock, pumice, snow fields and sandy grit. A 670km journey through one of the most unique, remote and untouched parts of the world.
|Level 3 Fitness
Level 3 Technical
Level 4 Adventure
|GROUP SIZE||6 – 12 Riders
(custom groups available)
- 12 Day guided mountain bike expedition across Iceland
- Specialised support vehicle for the full duration of the expedition
- Airport transfers to & from Reykjavik, Iceland
- Transfer as per itinerary on day 2 (Reykjavik to Öxarfjörður)
- Transfer as per itinerary on day 11 (Skógafoss to Reykjavik)
- Qualified & experienced Guides
- 2 Nights hotel accommodation in Reykjavik
- Hut accommodation 8 nights
- All expedition meals (10 Breakfasts, 10 Lunch & 11 Dinners)
- Pre & post expedition dinner
- Group camping equipment
- Mechanical support and bike maintenance on-route
- Expedition MTB apparel kit to value of R 2500
- Access fees and riding permits
- Flights to and from Reykjavik, Iceland
- Alcoholic / Non Alcoholic beverages
- Travel, activity and medical insurance
- Bike hire
- Personal cycling & camping equipment
- Spending money & tips
- Any cost outside the itinerary
- Onbike offers additional services on equipment, training and expedition consultation